Business Magnates to Become Dino-Hunters for New Museum Paul Allen and John Paul DeJoria to join excavations to celebrate Currie Museum
GRANDE PRAIRIE, AB – Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft Corporation and John Paul DeJoria, co-founder of the Paul Mitchell line of hair products and the Patron spirits company, will be heading to the Peace Country, Alberta this August to get their hands dirty hunting multi-million year old dinosaur fossils.
Allen and DeJoria will join a group including Dan Aykroyd, Donna Dixon Aykroyd, Matthew Gray Gubler and Fran Drescher as well as a team of palaeontologists from around the globe for three days of events celebrating the completion of the Philip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum building. After excavating fossils from two major sites – one of them among the world’s densest horned dinosaur bonebeds – the group will also attend the Amber Ball – a gala fundraiser for the Currie Museum.
The Currie Dinosaur Museum, named after Canada’s preeminent paleontologist, is a $34.6 million facility under construction since June 2013 that will open to the public Dec. 1, 2014. This August, Grande Prairie, Alberta and the surrounding communities will celebrate the completion of the museum building with a crowd of international glitterati and palaeontological literati in attendance.
Highlights will include:
• The Amber Ball on August 9– the event’s pinnacle evening. The Amber Ball will include a VIP champagne reception, performances by The Tenors, Estelle and a special musical presentation featuring Dan Aykroyd. (media access available, tickets available at (780) 532-2362)
• Ribbon-cutting ceremony on August 9 for the Philip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum (open to all)
• Dedication ceremony on August 9 for the Aykroyd Theatre (inside the Currie Museum) (open to all)
• Municipal Ceremony on August 7 to honour the Aykroyd family’s involvement in the Peace Region (open to all)
• Day spent excavating dinosaur fossils on August 8, on two major bonebeds (media access available)
• Mighty Peace Harley Davidson inaugural family ride on August 9, led by Dan Aykroyd on a ‘Dino Bike’ – a 2014 Harley Davidson Softail Breakout, customized with Currie Museum dinosaurs and autographed by Mr. Aykroyd (open to all, more details at (780) 882-8883)
Confirmed guests attending Full List here